2021 SHPE National Convention
- Orange County Convention Center
- Orlando, Florida
Undergraduate students are challenged to draw upon their ingenuity, technical aptitude and marketing skills to design a prototype or engineer improvements to an existing product. The competition challenges student members to develop and refine an idea related to automotive safety.
Competitors take part in a presentation skills workshop, one-on-one resume critique sessions, and mock interviews with leaders from engineering industry giants. Prizes are awarded to the winning teams, and students in the first-place team might receive summer internship offers to work at the sponsor company.
Are you ready for a chance to compete against the most talented students at the 2021 SHPE National Convention? Do you have what it takes to win a $9,000 Grand Prize with your team and an opportunity for an internship with Nissan? Sign up now!
HOW TO SIGN UP:
By 11:59PM PST on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8, all applicants must answer both of the application questions, submit their resume, meet the deadline for submission, and be registered for the SHPE National Convention. Make sure to include your major, expected graduation date, and GPA in your resume.
How does the Design Challenge work?
- 24 extraordinary SHPE student members will be selected and split into eight (8) teams to tackle this year’s Design Challenge Sponsored by Nissan over the span of four (4) days. The Competition culminates with the announcement of the winning team during the SHPE National Conference.
- Work virtually with a three (3) person team, starting on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2021
- Apply as an individual, we will group you into teams.*
- Develop and refine an idea to address a want and/or need within the automotive industry.
- Provide a daily project briefing/presentation starting Monday night that will be evaluated by the Design Challenge Sponsored by Nissan judges, culminating in a final presentation by the top 3 teams on Thursday evening.
- Interact virtually with and learn from your peers, Nissan engineers and leaders, and leaders from SHPE.
- Prizes of $9,000, $4,500 and $1,500 will be shared by the top three (3) teams.**
- Qualified winners from the champion team will receive an opportunity for an internship at Nissan (at minimum, opportunity based on open internship positions available and candidate meeting employment qualifications).
- Competitors who complete the challenge and participate in the required presentation sessions will receive full conference registration reimbursement after the conference - further details will be provided on day one.
- Competitors will receive access to Nissan and engineering industry leaders plus SHPE leaders.
*Applicants must be registered for the SHPE National Convention in advance of applying in order to be considered.
**Previous Design Challenge first place winners are not eligible to participate.
For questions, please contact: ChallengeMe@Shpe.org