Undergraduate students are challenged to draw upon their ingenuity, technical aptitude and marketing skills to design a prototype or engineer improvements to an existing product. The competition challenges student members to develop and refine an idea related to automotive safety. Students are selected to participate in the competition. Competitors take part in a presentation skills workshop, one-on-one resume critique sessions, and mock interviews with leaders from engineering industry giants. Prizes are awarded to the winning teams, and students in the first-place team receive summer internship offers to work for Nissan.
1st Place Team - $10,000
2nd Place Team - $5,000
3rd Place Team - $2,500
- Registration Closes: 10/8/20
- Competition Kickoff: 10/20/20
- Competition Concludes: 10/23/20
- Awards Announced: 10/26/20
- Competition Kickoff
- Round 1: Team Working Time
- Round 1: Elimination Round
- Round 2: Team Working Time
- Round 2: Elimination Round
- Semi-Finals Team Working Time
- Semi-Finals Elimination Round
- Final Team Working Time
- Final Elimination Round
- Awards Announced
What is the Nissan Design Competition?
- 24 extraordinary SHPE student members will be selected and split into eight (8) teams to tackle this year’s Nissan Design Competition over the span of four (4) days. The Competition culminates with the announcement of the winning team during the SHPE National Conference.
- Work virtually with a three (3) person team, starting on Tuesday October 20th
- Apply as an individual, we will group you into teams.
- Develop and refine an idea to address a want and/or need within the automotive industry
- Provide a daily project briefing/presentation starting Tuesday night that will be evaluated by the Nissan Design Competition judges, culminating in a final presentation by the top 3 teams on Friday evening
- Interact virtually with and learn from your peers, Nissan engineers and leaders, and leaders from SHPE
- Prizes of $10,000, $5,000 and $2,500 will be shared by the top three (3) teams.
- Qualified winners from the champion team will receive an opportunity for an internship at Nissan (at minimum, opportunity based on open internship positions available and candidate meeting employment qualifications)
- Competitors who complete the challenge and participate in the required presentation sessions will receive full conference registration reimbursement after the conference - further details will be provided on day one
- Competitors will receive access to Nissan and engineering industry leaders plus SHPE leaders