Our chapters keep it personal.
SHPE may be the nation’s largest network for Hispanic students and professionals in STEM, but we still prioritize the personal needs of our members. Our seven regions are made up of local chapters - schools, cities, or organizations with their own SHPE chapter. These chapters keep SHPE relevant and accessible to their unique membership with targeted educational events, mentoring programs, and networking opportunities.
SHPE started out in 1974 with just a couple of college chapters in California. Now, there are more than 245 across the country! There are chapters at the community college, college, university, and graduate levels. If you’re in high school, there are junior chapters for junior high and high school students. If your school doesn’t have a chapter yet, let’s work together to get one going.
Link to Student Chapter page
Professional chapters can take shape in many forms. They can be company-specific or city-focused. They can also include government agencies, nonprofits and other types of organizations.
Link to Professional Chapter page
Anyone can join SHPE. If you choose not to be affiliated with your local student or professional chapter, you can become a member “At-Large” within your geographic region. You will receive all of the same benefits as those who belong to a specific chapter.
Wherever you are in the country, there’s probably a SHPE chapter nearby. Hundreds of cities, colleges, and universities already have SHPE chapters. And if your city, college, or organization hasn’t established a chapter yet, we’ll help you get one off the ground.
Click here to see all SHPE Chapter Maps.
Request a Chapter Visit
- Are you in charge of a struggling or soon to be revived chapter?
- Does your chapter have trouble finding good programming or effectively implementing projects?
- Does SHPE work well as a club/organization at your school, but not really have a connection to regional or national SHPE resources?
If you answered yes to any one of the questions above, or just feel like your school would benefit from the presence of an SHPE national leader, please submit a chapter visit request form below. Your National Membership Chair will review your requests and get back to you shortly regarding your chapter's needs.
Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start a New Chapter
Don’t see the chapter you’re looking for? Start one now! Founding a chapter is a great way to build your leadership skills and improve your community.
We won’t say it’s easy, but we will say it’s worth it. Just follow these steps-
- Kick back and read through the new chapter kit. Doodle some notes. Make a checklist.
- Recruit nine other smart, forward-thinking people like yourself in your city, at your school, or in your organization.
- Submit New Chapter Application Form. (Pssst...don’t forget to request seed money from SHPE National!)
- Register an affiliation to a college or university as a student org [student chapters only]
- Host an Info Session
- Elect Officers
- Define Bylaws
- Develop Strategy & Define Goals
- Be approved and launch your first meeting!
- Enjoy the experience and benefits of SHPE Chapter life
New Chapter Kits
The New Chapter Kits give you everything you need to know about starting a chapter - from requesting seed money to adapting your bylaws to growing your founding membership.
- New SHPE Junior Chapter Kit > *coming soon new rebranding is in process -Thank you for your patience*
- New SHPE Student Chapter Kit >*coming soon -Thank you for your patience*
- New SHPE Professional Chapter Kit >*coming soon -Thank you for your patience*
New Chapter Application
You’ve decided what type of chapter. You’ve come up with a name. You’ve estimated an annual budget. It’s time to make it official and apply!
Please go here for the New Chapter Application Form.