Igniting Latinas in STEM.
The SHPEtinas program accelerates and affirms Latina representation at all levels of STEM corporate and academic leadership. Encouraging Latinas to pursue higher education and careers in STEM recognizes the unique perspective they bring to solving the world's most pressing problems while creating new, influential role models for future leaders.
The SHPEtina conference at the convention covers over 20 topics related to empowering Latinas in STEM, including career development, communication, skill-building, leadership, and much more. Example sessions include:
- Say It Like You Mean It! Building Confidence as well as Competence
- Demystifying Work-Life Balance
- Personal Branding in a Digital World
- Be Your Career CEO: Establishing Your Board of Directors
- Leadership, Your Hidden Superpower
¡PODEROSAS! Check out the SHPEtina 2019 Conference
The More You Know (as of June 2019:
- SHPE has 3,704 Latina members which constitute over 33% of the membership
- About 20% of women hold engineering degrees in the US workforce, out of which 11% are practicing in their field
- Latinas hold only 7% of the degrees earned by women though they constituted 16% of the female population as of 2012
- Women make up 20% of engineering school graduates but only account for 12% of practicing engineers
- Only 3% of Latina women are represented in STEM while women in total make up 24% of the STEM workforce
Want to join the SHPEtinas? Contact email@example.com
"STEM is exciting because as role models we have the opportunity to pave the way for someone else."Ximena Aristizabal Program Committee Lead
"SHPEtinas commitment to empowering each other, building each other up, and growing together is not only inspiring, it’s imperative for our future."Diana Gomez Board Member
We know what it’s like to be a minority in the workplace, and we’re here to help ensure your success. Join the SHPEtinas—an amazing group of women on a mission to break into the field and become powerful leaders.